Fantasmic Thread!

To me whats more insane is Fantasmic a 30 year old show seemed to draw in more people then Season of the Force or Pixar fest

Like blows my mind
At least for a few weeks, it is keeping MK holders in the park later in the day which leads to more food and drink purchases.

It’s just a very creative and dynamic show! The stage across the river, incorporating the Columbia and Mark Twain, all the floaters, the pyro, projections. It’s amazing!
Ohh I love it my favorite show Disney has ever done (50th Disneyland Fireworks are my second)

I'm just saying its insane something that is 30 years old draws people in....and these new events just seems to not be drawing people....There are lines to meet the Pixar Characters and Parade but at least crowd wise things felt light compared to when I went last weekend

So the last 2 times I went to Disneyland (we usually only go once every few years), we purchased a Dining plan (once at Riverbelle Terrace and once at Blue Bayou). The previous time that we went was prior to the advent of the dining plans and we had opted to view the 2nd show by watching the fireworks near the Haunted Mansion, then swooping in and staking a spot front and center while the crowds for the previous show left.

Since we are not planning on paying for a dining plan again, has anyone figured out good strategies to get a decent standby spot to watch the show? How early does one need to show up prior to the first show? And is it feasible to get a decent spot for the 2nd show with less waiting? And with the best viewing spots all "reserved", where is the best spots to watch it from on standby (keep in mind I'll be in a group with ages ranging from almost 70 down to as young as 3 years old).

So the last 2 times I went to Disneyland (we usually only go once every few years), we purchased a Dining plan (once at Riverbelle Terrace and once at Blue Bayou). The previous time that we went was prior to the advent of the dining plans and we had opted to view the 2nd show by watching the fireworks near the Haunted Mansion, then swooping in and staking a spot front and center while the crowds for the previous show left.

Since we are not planning on paying for a dining plan again, has anyone figured out good strategies to get a decent standby spot to watch the show? How early does one need to show up prior to the first show? And is it feasible to get a decent spot for the 2nd show with less waiting? And with the best viewing spots all "reserved", where is the best spots to watch it from on standby (keep in mind I'll be in a group with ages ranging from almost 70 down to as young as 3 years old).
Second show! Either see fireworks from Casey and stand near Frontierland and head over right away or try to hang out in the area.. it clears out quickly after first show and you can move to get a spot. First show is going to require you to find a spot 90mins- 2houra ahead of time.

Ohh I love it my favorite show Disney has ever done (50th Disneyland Fireworks are my second)

I'm just saying its insane something that is 30 years old draws people in....and these new events just seems to not be drawing people....There are lines to meet the Pixar Characters and Parade but at least crowd wise things felt light compared to when I went last weekend
My trip was originally scheduled for Mother's Day weekend. I knew about Pixar fest and season of force. When I found out Fantasmic was coming back May 24- I moved the entire trip and spend more $$ on flights due to the holiday weekend. The show has power lol!

And with the best viewing spots all "reserved", where is the best spots to watch it from on standby (keep in mind I'll be in a group with ages ranging from almost 70 down to as young as 3 years old).
With Zocalo's meal and guaranteed seat costing $35 for adults and $25 for kids, I think that would be a better way to view the show with a 3 year old and 70 year old. The Zocalo viewing would be sitting on the ground. Without a Fantasmic dining package, standby viewing will be packed. Everyone stands and your 3 year old will have to be on someone's shoulders.

With Zocalo's meal and guaranteed seat costing $35 for adults and $25 for kids, I think that would be a better way to view the show with a 3 year old and 70 year old. The Zocalo viewing would be sitting on the ground. Without a Fantasmic dining package, standby viewing will be packed. Everyone stands and your 3 year old will have to be on someone's shoulders.
I agree. I wish there was a good option without a dining plan, but there's not unless you can do the second show.

For the first show, out of towners are at a disadvantage to local passholders who are willing to stake out a spot for 2 plus hours. I mean, yes, non locals can do it too but not really feasible when you don't visit the parks often.

On top of that, I'm not sure I would want to have a 70 year old and a 3 year old swimming up stream to grab a spot for the second show while everyone is being corralled out from the first show. Undercover Tourist suggests waiting by the Harbour Galley side to get a standby spot for the second show. Be aware that everything is more crowded because of the HM construction.

In addition to cost cutting (primary reason), I do believe there was some actual regulatory red tape with Cal OSHA related to the danger caused by the performers being caught on stage with an out of control burning dragon.

Cal OSHA is very strict. If you think back several years, many of you might recall the sudden fall safety barriers they had to install on the tops of almost every building. This included the widening of the outdoor portion of the Alice ride track and installation of some railings. The outdoor portion of Alice used to basically be the track and the edge! It was very thrilling and seemed like you were about go off the edge while riding.
Did they really widen the track or just add the railing. Initially they just put up that ganky wooden railing that looked awful, think the permanent one looks nice and for a small child could still seem a little Mad Mouse-ish.

I really wish they would announce more about the standby procedure. I'm naively holding out hope they will switch to VQ for non-dining plan folks (I know they won't). I have no problem doing a dining plan, but it's hard with young kids to make that commitment at least 2 hours in advance of a dining reservation not knowing how their mood will be the night of!

It would also be nice if they still had the old dessert party!
Ah, the Balcony Desert Party was the best deal ever in DL! I think it was $26 when I first did it. Would be impossible now with the internet lol. The 35 seats would sell in a nanosecond.

Needing some opinions on viewing the show from those who have done both BB premium and RB premium. We have reservations at both and need to decide which to drop. I understand the difference between the locations, but just looking for what the reality of the RB terrace viewing might be if we don't get a primo table along the rail. The seat at the table sounds nice, but just not sure if it is worth the trade off if the view can be bad. Thanks!
If I could sit on the ground, I would choose BB hands down, though I would try to get there early enough to sit at the railing. We had the best table at RBT and it was wonderful to have a chair, but the view is not as good and it is not as magical, distractions from walking people and CM flashlights, plus angle and distance.

Did they really widen the track or just add the railing. Initially they just put up that ganky wooden railing that looked awful, think the permanent one looks nice and for a small child could still seem a little Mad Mouse-ish.
They did widen the track. If you look down and see the two shades of green, the shade of green further from the vehicle was the addition that was made because of OSHA. The track used to not have any rails and the vehicle would go over the edge a bit at points.

Thanks. I'll have to look next trip. I assumed going over the edge was an illusion. That's too bad but safety is important. I assume Goofy's Sky School also doesn't go over the edge at all even though it feels like it lol.

Does anyone know if you can leave off all the Apple Pie add ons and just get plain pancakes for the Riverbelle Brunch Fantasmic dining? Are the apples baked in? We would like to get reserved seating and that’s about the only thing my son would eat. He is over 9 so would be adult ticket.

We went to the second show on Wednesday and headed over to the rivers of america right when the fireworks were ending (9:45pm). Right then, everyone from the first show completely cleared out of the standing areas adjacent to the sitting areas and it was very easy right then to swoop in and get the best standby spots. This was on the righthand side, closer to big thunder and the saloons. It filled up pretty quickly in the next 5 minutes, but if you're there right when fireworks end it was pretty easy to get the best standby for the second show without much effort. I will say by the time the show started my feet were pretty tired.

It's still an amazing show in its own right. Is it missing those who can recite the show? Sure. Same said for many rides with permanent B mode
Does anyone know if you can leave off all the Apple Pie add ons and just get plain pancakes for the Riverbelle Brunch Fantasmic dining? Are the apples baked in? We would like to get reserved seating and that’s about the only thing my son would eat. He is over 9 so would be adult ticket.
We had the breakfast plate and that's standard American fare. Didn't order the pancakes.

Ah, the Balcony Desert Party was the best deal ever in DL! I think it was $26 when I first did it. Would be impossible now with the internet lol. The 35 seats would sell in a nanosecond.
Oh man, I remember doing this with my then girlfriend, now wife. We were there at rope drop and briskly walked to some door near the BB entrance to sign up for it. I miss the late 90’s Disneyland sometimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter